Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Winter is Finally Getting To Me

I have never had a problem with the winter season. I gives me a reason to wear a few layers and cover up my awkwardly shaped body, constantly wear a hat, grow my hair and beard. It also gives me an excuse to stay in my room and have personal time to myself. I have never endured a Winter quite like a Richmond winter. No matter what it will be windy. Wherever you go, the wind will be in your face, biting your face. The extremely rare occasion that it snows, I have learned to not get my hopes up. The snow won't stick (if it is a blizzard outside, the snow will melt the minute it hits the ground/building/etc. It leaves an slush that will stay for days (mixed with the wind and cold air, it is miserable. Enduring this since mid-November, and February is shortly drawing to a close, I can't help but pray for better weather. It is odd for me to wish for summer, because I am not a fan of sweat, but Richmond's unique weather is taking its toll on me. I long to take off my sweaters and jackets. Thoughts of the Spring and Summer remind me of the frequent trips to Richmond I would take after school let out every Summer.

The weather was perfect. Everyone was always outside. Shafer Court, cook-outs, backyard parties, bike rides to Carytown or Bell Isle. Back then I wasn't in the shape I am in now (not saying I am in perfect shape now, but I have definitely lost weight and gained muscle since I moved to Richmond). Richmond has a very mobile culture. A bike is a near necessity if you want to go somewhere quickly. Cars are only needed if where you are going is out of The Fan. Since the weather has been so gloomy and harsh, the custom of riding your bike almost everywhere you go has become difficult. The wind will push you and your bike of course, or try and work against you, no matter which way you navigate. It may sound lazy, but I'd rather just walk the ten blocks than fight the wind and traffic.


I forgot what my point was of this. I am sick of winter. My pants and sweaters are falling apart. Mother Nature, hurry your ass up and flip the Spring switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment